Wednesday, March 02, 2011

newsletter w/c 24th January 2011

The weather for the farmers market at juniper Green last Saturday was a big improvement on what we’ve suffered in the last few months. The customers turned out too, and I was hoarse by the time I got home after the non-stop chatter. I don’t do any of the market trader - vocal marketing that you see on the television or at the Barras. You know the sort of thing – ‘get your leeks – two for a pound’ in my strongest Ayrshire accent. I’d be hoarse within half an hour then. I spend my time chatting to people who come up tio the stall and show an interest.
Lynda’s brother Peter had us over on Saturday for our first Burns supper of the season. I shouldn’t have had my third helping, but couldn’t help myself as the food was so good. I could hardly move for about an hour afterwards. We’re hosting one for friends locally on Friday so I’ll have to finish my run on Friday as early as I can to give me plenty of time to get prepared.
On the delivery side of things, I have, as intimated over the last couple of weeks, had to change some of the delivery days, to make the runs as efficient as I can get them, now that I’m doing the deliveries myself again. It’s mainly customers in North Lanarkshire that are affected but one or two others may see the delivery change. If you have any queries or if the new delivery time is an inconvenience to you, let me know and we’ll sort another delivery time out for you.
We have Seville oranges available at the moment, if anyone is planning on making marmalade. Let me know how many kilos you would need and I’ll let you know the price and when I can get them.
On the farm, I’ve got a busy day of harvesting veg for the bags this week. I have to try to get all the roots up for the whole week, and the jerusalem artichokes are quite time-consuming to pick. I hope we don’t have a frosty night on Sunday or that will hold me back. It’s looking ok at the moment.
Here’s a list of the veg that should appear in the standard bags this week, if substitutions haven’t been required:

Potato Solanum tuberosum. Tatties this week are either Robinta (red skins) or Valor (large, white skins), both are good general purpose potatoes. It’s so good to have our own tatties again. We’re bagging them straight from the field at the moment so the sizes will vary. They are very easy to prepare when they’re as fresh as this and really only need a wash and a scrub. Potatoes are the only commonly available source of B3 and Iodine. Excellent source of Vitamin C and also Vitamin B6, Potassium and fibre.

Onion Allium cepa. You may receive some of our own onions this week. They are the best onions I’ve ever grown. I have red and white varieites so could be either or a mixture. They haven’t been dried yet so they’re full of flavour. Used in stews, pasta dishes, soups. Source of Vitamins A and C, Iron, Calcium and Potassium .

Carrot Daucus carota Carrots are eaten fresh in salads or cooked in just about any way you like..They are an excellent source of Vitamin A and also contain significant amounts of Vitamins B, C, D, E and K. and Potassium.

Brussels Sprouts Brassica oleracea Gemmifera Group Excellent source of Vitamin C and phytochemicals, and is also a source of Vitamins A and B6, potassium, folic acid and fibre. To prepare, pare the bottom off of the sprout and remove any damaged outer leaves. Sprouts taste best when they are quickly blanched in lightly salted boiling water and then served topped with melting butter.

Jerusalem Artichoke Helianthus tuberosus ( 400g) Source of Vitamin B1, B2, B3, calcium, potassium, iron and fibre. To cook scrub off the worst of any dirt on the root, then boil for a couple of minutes without cutting off the root or the top. This loosens the skin and allows you to rub it off quite easily. Then boil in slightly salted water for a further 15-20 minutes or until tender. Add lemon juice to the water before boiling to keep the roots white. Can also be roasted after parboiling, and makes very good soup. All you really need are the artichokes, some onion, simmered together until soft, add a stock, boil for 30 minutes maybe a little nutmeg. Puree it.

Mixed Beansprouts very nutritious, these sprouting seeds are excellent fresh in salads or cooked in stir-fries. If there is a punnet open in the kitchen in our house, they don’t last long because people seem to find it hard to pass them without digging out a spoonful.

Fennel (1 head) This stem base can be chopped raw into salads or simmered in a stock. Here’s a recipe for Buttered Fennel: Trim the root base and cut in half lengthways and rinse in cold water. Put the fennel in a pan with a minmal amount of boiling, lightly salted water and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until just tender. Overcooking reduces the sweet aniseed flavour. Drain thoroughly in a colander and keep warm on a serving dish. Now, melt the butter. Season the fennel with pepper, then pour the melted butter over the top and serve. Your cress would be a fine garnish for this dish. Goes particularly well with grilled fish or roast chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home