Sunday, May 01, 2011

I’m going to be needed at home, again, on Tuesday next week, so I’m going to deliver the Tuesday veg on Monday. I’m sorry for any inconvenience caused, but this should be the last time this change is needed for a while.


It was my birthday last week, and Lynda decided to take us all away for a couple of days. We rented a wee apartment for a couple of nights in Pitlochry. I was a bit reticent to go and leave all the work behind that needs done, but I certainly felt the benefit of the break. The boys and Lynda had a good time too. We left on Saturday, once I got back to the farm from the market at Juniper Green. It was the quietest market I’ve been at for a while. The combination of a chill breeze with no sunshine, and a holiday weekend seems to have had a bad effect on customer numbers. Last month the same market was the busiest one I’d had for a while and I sold out of lots of the basics by 11.30am. Consequently, of course, I’d taken lots of veg with me, to avoid running out. I’ll never get it right! I had to humph it all back home again.


The one benefit of the quiet market was, that for once I was prepared for all eventualities. I had taken some seedlings with me that needed to be pricked-out. I took more of them than I thought I’d need too and nearly got them all transplanted. I’ve been falling behind a bit with the seedlings, so that really helped. This week I really need to get the red onion sets planted and make a start on the spinach and beet bed. I haven’t even any peas or beans planted yet which is unusual, but it’s not too late yet.


Here’s a list of the veg that should appear in the standard bags this week, if substitutions haven’t been required:


Potato Solanum tuberosum. Tatties this week are either Robinta (red skins) or Valor (large, white skins), both are good general purpose potatoes. It’s so good to have our own tatties again. We’re bagging them straight from the field at the moment so the sizes will vary. They are very easy to prepare when they’re as fresh as this and really only need a wash and a scrub. Potatoes are the only commonly available source of B3 and Iodine. Excellent source of Vitamin C and also Vitamin B6, Potassium and fibre.


Onion Allium cepa. You may receive some of our own onions this week. They are the best onions I’ve ever grown. I have red and white varieties so could be either or a mixture. They haven’t been dried yet so they’re full of flavour. Used in stews, pasta dishes, soups. Source of Vitamins A and C, Iron, Calcium and Potassium .


Carrot Daucus carota Carrots are eaten fresh in salads or cooked in just about any way you like. They are an excellent source of Vitamin A and also contain significant amounts of Vitamins B, C, D, E and K. and Potassium.


Swede Brassica napa. (1head). Swedes are one of Scotlands Winter staple veggies. It is completely frost resistant so needs only to harvested as required rather than having to be stored. The only problem is lifting when the ground is frozen I’ve seen us lifting them with pick axes in frosty weather. Cut off the top and bottom of the swede then peel thickly. Cut into cubes or big chunks and boil for 30-40 minutes or alternatively, parboil then set around a roast in the oven for the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Excellent boiled, then mashed with butter and cream.


Parsley


Aubergine


Rhubarb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home