Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Newsletter w/c 10/05/10

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning to get the van packed to go to Balerno for the Farmers Market. At 6.30, as I was carrying crates of vegetables from the shed to the van, the sun was shining down on me and everything led me to believe it was going to be a fine day. This may be the reason that I didn’t pick up my ‘market jacket’ as I left, as I usually do. It goes with me to every market and generally gets left in the van as I never need it very often. Anyway, as you can guess, I got to Balerno and drove up to my stall under a leaden sky and a heavy breeze that felt as if it carried the air of the Baltic. All I can say is, It’ll probably be a while before I forget my jacket again. It felt like a long morning. To pass the time between customers, I took a tray of leek seedlings along with me and I pricked-out the plants into a modular tray. I feel like I can’t waste a second at this time of year.
Last week I didn’t get as much done in the field, as I would have liked, but I’ve got large areas rotovated and ridged, ready for seed to be sown this week. By the end of the week I’d like to have sown all the carrots, swedes, a first-sowing of beetroot, chard, more peas and more beans. I also need to do a fair bit of pricking out and the garlic and potatoes are needing weeded, so I hope we get some decent weather and that things go according to plan. It’s a busy time of year.
Our new logo and van signage is being finalised, so hopefully we can launch it and let you see it very soon. We decided on the route we want to take and our friend, Anne, is working her magic on each area to get it exactly right
As I intimated last week, egg prices are going to have to rise at last. We’ve held off for ages, but we’re determined to stay far cheaper than the supermarkets, so you won’t be losing out. The eggs are going up to £1.80 per box from the 1st May 2010. Obviously, many of you will have left us a cheque for less than this, as you had no prior warning of the increase. If you don’t mind just adding the extra £0.30 to the next delivery that will suit us fine.
We’re also still tinkering with the delivery runs, just trying to make them as efficient as possible, so one or two of you may get deliveries on days you aren’t expecting them. Please accept my apologies for this short period of uncertainty. It will settle down to a regular day soon. We’re still trying to integrate the deliveries Brian used to do, without driving for too many hours at a time, or needing to get up ridiculously early. I think we’re nearly there now though.

Potatoes Solanum tuberosum. Tatties this week are Remarka a good general purpose potato.. Potatoes are the only commonly available source of B3 and Iodine. Excellent source of Vitamin C and also Vitamin B6, Potassium and fibre.

Onion Allium cepa. Used in stews, pasta dishes, soups. Source of Vitamins A and C, Iron, Calcium and Potassium .

Carrot Daucus carota Carrots are eaten fresh in salads or cooked in just about any way you like. They are an excellent source of Vitamin A and also contain significant amounts of Vitamins B, C, D, E and K. and Potassium.

Cucumber Cucumis sativus. (1/2 head) Good source of vitamin C and A. Also, a good source of potassium. Wash thoroughly, dry, then slice up to use in salads. Occasionally used in soups.

Leek Allium porrum The leek is a mainstay of Scottish cookery, used primarily to give a creamy texture to soups. It is also good as a vegetable in it’s own right, boiled; steamed; braised or fried. The leeks collect soil in the leaf axils as they grow, so, once sliced, give them a good rinse to clear the grit. If cooking them whole, make a slit into the white part far enough to allow you to prise the leaves apart but not far enough to split it in two.

Pepper Capsicum sp. (1 head) Good source of vitamin C. Wash the pepper, then slice off the top. Scoop out the seeds and membranes. Can be eaten cooked or fresh in various dishes including pasta sauces, pizza, salads. Peppers can also be stuffed with various fillings.

Beetroot Beta vulgaris Contains Vitamin C folic acid and potassium. Can be cooked in various ways, but don’t peel the beet until you’ve boiled it as this stops it ‘bleeding’. Super Boost Juice – Put on the rubber gloves, spread out a newspaper and peel your beetroot and cut it into chunks. Take 4 apples and quarter and core them. Take 4 carrots and trim and peel them. Take 1cm/1 inch of fresh ginger and peel it. This is easily done by scraping the skin off with the side of a teaspoon. Process all the ingredients through a juicer. Stir and serve immediately, adding ice if desired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home